Siriusly Canine offers ongoing Canine Good Citizen prep classes based on the American Kennel Club's
10-item certification test. Canine Good Citizen certification is open to all dogs – AKC registered or not. There is no minimum or maximum age limit.
Siriusly Canine's prep classes not only cover the test items, but we also have field trips to public places in order apply what we've been working on in class.
The Canine Good Citizen test includes the following items:
- Accepting a friendly stranger (greeting the handler without acknowleding the dog)
- Sitting politely to be petted (friendly behavior while staying in place to be petted)
- Appearance and grooming (evaluator touches the dog's head, paws, ears and lightly uses brush or comb)
- Out for a walk (dog stays with handler without pulling on leash as they walk turning left, right, an about turn and stop)
- Walking through a crowd (walking on-leash among people without pulling, lunging, jumping or shyness)
- Sit and Down on command and Staying in place
- Coming when called (recall from 20 feet)
- Reaction to another dog (exercise shows that dog should show only casual interest without approaching other dog or handler)
- Reaction to distraction (both noise and movement)
- Supervised separation (handler leaves dog with evaluator for 3 minutes without dog becoming agitated)
In CGC Prep class each item is covered and new tools are introduced for successfully accomplishing each behavior.
Prerequisite for the class is Intermediate Level class completion or equivalent. Instructor approval is required.
For more information on the Canine Good Citizen certification program, you can visit http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good-citizen/what-is-canine-good-citizen/
Siriusly Canine also offers AKC Community Canine (CGC-Advanced) classes. CGC-A is an AKC title, not a certification. If your dog is not AKC registered, does not qualify for registration or is a mixed breed, AKC offers a Canine Partner program so your dog can still participate in titled programs/events.